In Part 1 we identified a few design modification potentials for the LK-35, in this blog I expected to have delivered the Swedish webbing pouch set, however there has been a further two week delay and the suppliers.
Nevertheless, I have been able to put together some of the options and also had some alternative feedback from forums / groups to what others have done.
Using the original LK-35 frame I loosened the original back rest strap and passed it through the new Hip belt details in Part 1, this fit perfectly and allowed the hip belt to be securely attached to the frame.
The webbing loops were then ideally positioned to attach to the two D hoops on
the metal frame using paracord at the top and using the MOLLE
straps and paracord at the bottom, this meant no free movement of the belt.
Loaded up the pack seemed very comfortable, however the hip belt felt a little too deep for my waistline but may be better suited to someone who (basically isn’t so overweight!).
I had my son try the pack on and it fit him well.
The colour variance isn’t that noticeable in normal light.
I also added a grab handle, but chose use a existing paracord bracelet with an extra shackle, this works very well although I would probably make a new one in olive paracord, I think the function stack of this is that it can be removed and used as a bracelet or be transferred to another unit as a carrying device, and of course the unravelling of the cord for any other use in emergencies. the only down side that I anticipate it the noise potential of the shackle against the frame but this could be overcome with wrap on the frame in that area. Using an idea from McQ Bushcraft to line the inner section of the bag with foam to:
- shape the bag in an open position at all times for ease of loading; and
- Provide a change mat / clean area to use when camping
- Rolled provides a pillow.
I used a 15mm polyurethane foam that to be honest is too thick and bulky. I have since acquired so 5mm foam that I will cut to size and try.
The pack weight including inner foam was 3.2kg
Next, having stripped the pack apart, I rebuilt using the acquired aluminium frame. The frame width was sightly wider than the original so fitting of the bag was tight but acceptable.
Using the the hip belt and webbing back rest strap from the LK-35 the hip setup was fixed to the bottom of the frame utilising the hole for the original hip belt.
The hoops of the hip belt again could be used to securely locate it to the frame. The two existing back rest straps moved up the frame to provide greater support around the shoulder blades.
Loaded up the pack felt comfortable albeit a little stiffer on the back, the legs at the top of the frame protruded a little too far and if used I would probably cut these down to size.
I did have an idea that the larger hollow tubes of the aluminium frame could be used to store a custom compact modular fishing pole or water tube, paracord, poles, spikes or numerous other devices which may make an interesting side project.
Lee on the UKSN Facebook page had a few modification suggestions that he had tried out on his packs overtime.
- Stitching of the side pockets leaving the top and bottom unstitched on one or both sides to allow the drop through of an axe or poles.Certainly the tops can be left open to provide an inner additional pocket.
- Use of insulation tape around the loops of the bag at the top and bottom of the fame to restrict movement of the pack.
In part 3 I will hopefully have the pouches to finally fit to the pack, in additional I’ll be trying a new thinner foam liner plus an alternative hip belt.